- 2 cups of water
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lime
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 cinnamon sticks (broken into pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons almond extract
- 1 ounce rye or preferred whiskey
- 2 ounces cherry cola syrup
- 6 ounces soda water
Combine the water, all citrus zest (save the juice for later), cinnamon, lavender, and nutmeg into a large saucepan. Whisk together, add sugar and bring to a boil. Continue to stir until the sugar is dissolved and then stir in molasses. Boil the mixture for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the citrus juice, vanilla and almond extract. Let the mixture cool and strain in a clean container. Store in the fridge for up to two weeks.
In a Collins glass filled with ice, add 1 ounce of rye, 2 ounces cherry cola syrup, top with soda water and stir. Syrup amounts may be adjusted to preferred sweetness.