- 2 cups water
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup raisins or chopped pitted dates
- 1 inch fresh ginger root, grated (or ½ tsp ground ginger)
- 1 inch fresh turmeric root, grated (or ½ tsp turmeric powder)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- pink salt
- coconut flakes
In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the grated ginger and turmeric root to steep like a tea for 2-3 minutes before adding in the oats. The water will turn a golden color; once it does, stir in the oats and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until liquid is almost fully absorbed. Add the raisins in at the end and remove from heat. Stir in the remaining spices. Transfer to a bowl, top with a spoonful of ghee, a sprinkling of pink salt, and a handful of coconut flakes.
Note: If you’re using ground spices, skip the first step of steeping the roots and instead, add the ground spices at the end with the raisins.