- 4-5 pounds whole chicken
- 8 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 7 sprigs fresh thyme
- 9 sprigs fresh parsley
- ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 1 yellow onion, cut in half
- 3 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 head garlic, cut in half down the middle
- 2” piece jalapeno
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, and cut into ¼” thick pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into ¼” thick pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into ¼” thick pieces
- 2 cups dry white wine, preferably Chardonnay
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter kosher salt & pepper
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles
- ½ lemon
- 1 package English or frozen peas
Place rinsed chicken in a heavy stockpot. Add both containers of broth and top with water to just cover the surface of the chicken. Add remaining ingredients and place over medium-high heat. Once simmering, allow to cook for 25 minutes.
Carefully remove chicken from broth and set aside. Once chicken is cool enough to handle, peel off skin and set aside. Break down chicken and set meat aside. Add bones back to the broth and simmer for one hour. Run the broth through a colander to catch the veggies and bones. Place broth back in clean stockpot, and place over medium-high heat. Add the wine, butter, 2 teaspoons salt, and 3 teaspoons pepper and allow to reduce by half. While broth is reducing, cut remaining veggies, and add to reducing broth.
Shred chicken and add to broth. Add egg noodles and cook for seven minutes. Add lemon juice and peas. Taste broth and season accordingly. Garnish with chicken skins.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place chicken skins flat in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt, top with another piece of parchment, and place another baking sheet on the top to weigh down the skins. Bake on top rack for 20 minutes. Rotate the sheets and transfer to the bottom rack for an additional 20 minutes. Allow to cook until the skins are golden and crisp. Use as garnish for soup.