- 2 large ripe heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2 cup slow-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 ripe cantaloupe, you want a really good one here
- 10 leaves of basil
- Fresh mozzarella, we used buffalo
- Sea salt
- Dressing of choice, such as olive oil and balsamic vinegar or balsamic reduction
Make sure your cantaloupe and tomatoes are at room temperature and perfectly ripe. Quarter the cantaloupe and remove the seeds. Cut the quarters into smaller wedges and work carefully to remove the flesh from the skin. Cut the cantaloupe into desirable-sized chunks and slice the heirloom tomatoes as thickly or thinly as you prefer. Arrange the cantaloupe and tomatoes on plates. Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt, focusing mainly on the raw tomatoes and cantaloupe, as the slow-roasted tomatoes are likely already perfectly salted. Slice the mozzarella and place on top of the cantaloupe/tomato arrangement. Top mozzarella with roughly torn basil leaves. Drizzle with dressing of choice. If you’d like to bulk this up, you could also toss with a bit of arugula for a more traditional side-dish salad.