- 3-20 ounce cans young jackfruit in water (organic preferred - find at a local Asian market or Whole Foods OKC)
- BBQ seasoning mix (1 tablespoon coconut sugar + 1 teaspoon garlic powder + 1½ teaspoon chili powder + 1 teaspoon smoked paprika +½ teaspoon salt + ½ teaspoon pepper +¼ teaspoon cayenne, mix)
- ½-¾ cup BBQ sauce (I prefer Annie’s Naturals)
- Whole-grain buns (consider vegan and/or gluten-free - try O’Dough’s for both!)
- Broccoli avocado slaw (see recipe below)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 cups shredded broccoli + carrot mix (or other shredded veggie mix)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- salt + pepper to taste
- 4 large sweet potatoes (local and organic, if possible)
- 2 tablespoon grapeseed, olive, or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Drain and rinse canned jackfruit. With your hands, tear apart jackfruit chunks to separate out the seeds and harder core and discard. Place the rest in a large mixing bowl. Add all BBQ seasoning ingredients to jackfruit and toss to thoroughly coat. Heat 1-2 tablespoon grapeseed or avocado oil in large skillet on medium to high heat. Add seasoned jackfruit to skillet, stir, and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add BBQ sauce and stir to coat. Reduce to low heat and cook covered for 20-25 more minutes. Remove lid every 5 minutes or so to stir and mash jackfruit to match the consistency of pulled pork. Once thoroughly cooked, set aside and let cool for 2-3 minutes and then place on bun with broccoli avocado slaw and additional BBQ sauce to taste!
Broccoli Avocado Slaw
Add avocado, lemon, maple syrup, and vinegar to small mixing bowl and mash/whisk into a thick paste. Add veggie mix and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let rest for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to meld.
Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges
Preheat oven to 425 °. Thoroughly wash and scrub sweet potatoes, leaving skin on. Cut potatoes into 1” thick wedges. Toss with olive, avocado, or grapeseed oil and transfer to two baking sheets, making sure there are no overlapping wedges to ensure crispiness. Mix seasonings together and toss over wedges. Bake for 20 minutes and flip wedges. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until the edges are brown and crisp.